Internet Safety in Our Schools
The Internet as we know it is a vast library of unlimited resources delivered electronically over global networks to personal computers. The rapid growth of the Internet makes it a never-ending challenge to be in-the-know. Educating our students on Internet Safety is taken very seriously in our school system. Parents also play an important role in keeping their children safe.
Our Internet Safety Program consists of the following:
- K-2 – Clicky by NetSmartz or Professor Garfield’s Internet Safety Program
- 3-5 – FBI-SOS Safe Online Surfing
- 6-8 – FBI-SOS Safe Online Surfing
- 9-10 – FBI-SOS Safe Online Surfing
- 11-12 – Internet Safety Modules
iSAFE TRAINING REQUIRED FOR LICENSED PERSONNEL
The School Board approved the proposal made by the Internet Safety Committee that all licensed personnel be trained in Internet Safety and become iSafe certified by June 30, 2010. New personnel will be required to complete the training by June 30th of their first year with us.
The program is online and can be completed in parts at a time. When you complete the first module, the next module will open up and so on. The program tracks your progress and returns you to where you left off when logging out. The program is a series of videos about real life issues, safety practices, ethics, and security. You will become aware of the seriousness of Internet Safety not only for keeping our students safe but for your own children as well. Awareness is key to safety.
- Open your web browser and go to: www.isafe.org
- Log in at the top right hand side. First time users, create an account at the top right hand side. Click on ‘Educators’ for the membership type, select your country, and click next. Complete the registration, then log in.
- Click on ‘Return to iSafe Home’, then click on ‘Educators’ at the top.
- Click on ‘iLEARN Online’ in the menu to the left.
- Beginning with the Personal Safety module, click on ‘click to start’ to the right.
- Each module contains chapters you must view sequentially. Please note the length of the video before getting started. If you aren’t able to complete it, you will have to repeat that chapter when you return. To view the video, click ‘view online’.
- Proceed through entire program in this fashion. Upon completion of the iLEARN Program, you will become iSafe Certified and receive a certificate worth 6 credit hours.
ONLINE SAFETY FOR TWEENS AND TEENS
FTC Publication Fosters Online Safety for Tweens and Teens Being online is part of kids’ lives. The Federal Trade Commission has a new publication that talks to tweens and teens about what they do online, and how the choices they make matter.
Living Life Online offers short articles, activities, quizzes, and an ask-the-expert column, all to help kids learn how to be good digital citizens. Kids find out how to stay safer online, how to use critical thinking skills – and how to apply them to the advertising they see all around them. Parents will find worksheets and information to encourage discussion with their kids, and kids can go online to find out their tech personality. With topics as varied as how to handle bullying and cell phone bill shock, Living Life Online helps kids learn to make good decisions as they live their lives, whether online or off.