Caroline County Preschool Application Process
Caroline County Public Schools offers a rigorous preschool program to provide a range of school readiness skills to eligible children with the greatest need. Eligibility is based on multiple criteria. All parents or guardians must complete the pre-application screening form, and will receive notification if they are eligible to continue with a full application.
- To be eligible for preschool your child must be 4 years old by September 30th (No exceptions).
- Eligible children must live in Caroline County and reside in the attendance zone of the designated elementary school (No exceptions).
- Completing the application does not guarantee enrollment.
- Children participating in the screening process does not guarantee enrollment.
- Acceptance into the program is based on eligibility and not first come, first serve.
Step 1: Complete a pre-application
- The pre-application (Part 1) can be accessed through the online student registration system, LINQ. For more information about using LINQ, open Creating an Account document.
If you are eligible to continue you must have your child’s original or certified birth certificate with you when you apply. You will not be able to continue with the application process until you have the birth certificate and all other required documents. Only a parent or legal guardian can complete the application.
If you are unable to utilize the LINQ, the online registration system, you may download the pre-application and return it to the appropriate attendance zone school.
Step 2: If eligible to to continue with the process, the school registrar will contact you directly. You will be asked to complete all remaining required documents and submit to the school.
In order for the application to be processed the parent/guardian will need to bring the following required documents to the school in your child’s attendance zone:
- Completed application with appropriate signatures
- Child’s original or certified birth certificate
- IEP, if applicable
- Income Documentation and Assistance. All income and assistance of the following that apply:
- 1040/Income Tax Returns, Employer W-2 forms, and three pay
- stubs from the consecutive months preceding application
- Current TANF
- Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Child Support
- Educational Assistance
- Unemployment and Worker’ compensation payments
- Veterans’ benefit payments
- Survivor benefit payments
- Pension or retirement income
- Interest and dividends
- Rents and royalties
- Income from estates and trusts
- Legal Custody/Guardianship, Visitation, and/or Protective Orders,
- Foster Parent Verification, if applicable
- Photo ID and two documents for proof of residency
Also, you must provide two documents from list A or one from list A and one from list B
- A deed or lease agreement to the residence
- Utility bill or new hookup/installation issued within the last 30 days (telephone, electric, cable, water, etc.)
- A letter from Rappahannock Electric or Dominion Power verifying the address
- A U.S. Internal Revenue Service tax reporting W-2 from the current year
- A payroll check stub issued by an employer within the last 30 days
- A piece of mail with new forwarding address indicated by the post office
Step 3: Screening
- All students must be screened prior to acceptance into the program. If you are contacted to complete a full application (Part 2), you may be asked to bring your child to the appointment or at another time.
- The parent will complete a parent questionnaire during their child’s screening.
Step 4: Acceptance and Placement
- Once the child’s screening results have been reviewed and eligibility determined, families will be notified (by postal mail) of their child’s acceptance status.
Please note: Children will be placed in the program based on the above criteria until all slots are filled. Remaining eligible children will be placed on a waiting list and a letter will be sent to the parents or guardians.
Step 5: Enrollment
- After a parent receives the letter of acceptance and health form, the parent can complete the student enrollment packet to enroll their child into the school in their attendance zone.
- The student enrollment packet can be downloaded from the CCPS website and completed or picked up at the school in the child’s attendance zone.
- Parents must bring the completed enrollment packet and items required for school enrollment to register your child for preschool prior to the 1st day of school.
Mrs. Andrea Ross, Director of Federal Programs